|ELECTION GUIDELINES FOR THE NAPANEE PHOTO CLUB
The following guidelines are to assist the President and the Nominating Committee in the election process at the Annual General Meeting (A.G.M.).
1. A Nominating Committee is to be appointed by the Executive Committee prior to the A.G.M., as per the Constitution and By‑Laws. The appointment should be prior to the November meeting of the Club so that the membership can be made aware at that meeting of whom to contact should they wish to recommend someone for office or indicate their desire to stand for election.
2. The Nominating Committee may consist of a single member (or chairman), several members with one as chairman, or a chairman with power to add to his committee as needed.
3. The report of the Nominating Committee should be the last order of business at the A.G.M. The new officers and committee chairmen would assume office just prior to the close of the meeting.
4. The President (Chairman) of the meeting should declare all offices vacant, but retain chairmanship of the meeting.
5. The chairman should then call on the Chair of the Nominating Committee to present his report, which should be in the form…
“Mr. Chairman ( or Madam Chairman ), the Nominating Committee submits the following nominations: for President,___________, for Treasurer, ___________, etc.”
Note: the Nominating Committee must consult each member being nominated prior to the A.G.M. and have their agreement to stand for office.
6. After the Nominating Committee has presented its report and before voting takes place, the Chairman must call for further nominations from the floor.
Note: Nominees from the floor should have been consulted prior to the A.G.M. and have agreed to stand for office. If a member nominates another member who is not present at the meeting, a letter of agreement to stand for office from the nominee should accompany the nomination.
7. After further nominations, or if there are no further nominations, the Chair should declare that nominations are closed, in the form …
“Are there any further nominations. If not…(pause), nominations are closed.”
8. If there is more than one nominee for any office, the vote shall be by written ballot, as per the Constitution and By‑laws, but only for those offices that have received more than one nominee.
9. If there is only one nominee for an office, the Chair may declare the nominee elected by acclamation.
10. Following the election, the Chair turns the meeting over to the new President who makes his acceptance remarks and closes the business portion of the meeting.
Constitution and By-Laws of the Napanee Photo Club
1. This association of photographers shall be known as the Napanee Photo Club.
2. The aim of this Club is to educate and develop its members as photographers, and to encourage and promote the art of photography.
3. The Officers of the Napanee Photo Club shall consist of a President, Secretary and Treasurer.
4. The Standing Committees of this Club shall consist of a Program Committee, Competition Committee, Exhibition Committee and a Fund Raising Committee
5. The Executive Committee of this Club shall consist of the Officers of the Club, Program Chair, Competition Chair, Exhibition Chair, Fund Raising Chair and an Elected Member.
DUTIES OF THE EXECUTIVE
6. The President, if present, shall preside at all meetings of the Napanee Photo Club and Executive Committee, maintain order and direct the business thereof. In the absence of the President another member of the Executive may be required to chair any meeting of the Club or Executive Committee, and perform the duties of President. Notwithstanding the preceding provision, the members may elect from among themselves a temporary chairman. The President may appoint special committees during his/her term of office to deal with matters outside the realm of standing committees.
7. The Secretary shall keep a faithful record of the minutes of all meetings of the Executive
Committee, conduct the correspondence of the Club, and maintain a record of Club assets. The Secretary shall also record all motions passed or decisions of the Club that occur at regular meetings.
8. The Treasurer shall keep proper accounts of receipts and expenditures, pay all bills, issue monies on the direction of the Club or Executive Committee, and maintain the bank accounts of the Napanee Photo Club. The Treasurer shall receive all membership fees, keep a correct register of the members and notify the Newsletter Editor of all members and their mailing addresses.
9. The Program Committee shall be responsible for the educational portion of the meetings, arrange for workshops and outings, and maintain the educational resources of the Club. In the absence of the President, the Program Chair may be required to chair any meeting of the Club or Executive Committee, and perform the duties of President.
10. The Competition Committee shall be responsible for all in-club and multi-club competitions, arrange for the judging of entries, and notify members of the conditions of entry and, after judging, of the results. All plans shall require the approval of the Executive Committee before being acted upon.
11. The Exhibition Committee shall plan and co-ordinate all matters relating to an Annual Exhibition of the Napanee Photo Club. All plans shall require the approval of the Executive Committee before being acted upon.
FUND RAISING COMMITTEE
12. The Fund Raising Committee shall plan and co-ordinate projects for the raising of funds for the Club. All projects shall require the approval of the Executive Committee before being acted upon.
13. The elected member is a voting member of the Executive Committee, and shall be the representative of the members, bringing their questions and concerns to the Executive Committee.
14. The Executive Committee shall:
(a) have general supervision of the business of the Club between its regular meetings;
(b) fix the hour and place of Club meetings;
(c) annually, at their first meeting, appoint a newsletter editor and equipment manager to serve for one year, or until their successors are appointed;
(d) approve the plans and budgets of all committees, the newsletter editor and equipment manager, and direct funds to them;
(e) make recommendations to the Club on matters regarding the welfare of the Club;
(f) perform an annual review of the finances to avoid deficit financing;
(g) be subject to the orders of the Club, and. None of its acts shall conflict with action taken by the Club;
(h) meet no fewer than 4 times per year at the call of the President;
(i) hold special meetings upon the written request of four members of the Club, and the President shall call such a special meeting within 21 days of receipt of a written request;
(j) recognize five members as a quorum for the transaction of business
15. The Newsletter Editor shall be responsible for the preparation, production and communication of the Club newsletter to all members, under the direction of the Executive Committee
16. The Equipment Manager shall be responsible for the maintenance and care of the audio-visual equipment of the Club under the direction of the Executive Committee. The Equipment Manager shall be responsible for the loan of equipment to members and for instructing them on their proper use. The Equipment Manager shall submit an annual report to the Executive Committee at their last meeting of the year, summarizing the use of the equipment, fees arising from the use thereof and expenses for maintenance costs.
VACANCY OF OFFICE
17. (a) Should the office of President become vacant for any reason, the Club shall elect an interim President to assume the office for the remainder of the term.
(b) Should any other office or committee chair become vacant, it shall be filled by appointment of the Executive Committee for the remainder of the term.
(c) Notwithstanding section (b), the Club may decide to hold an election to fill any office for the balance of the term, in which case the membership shall be notified of the time and place of the election.
18. (a) Regular Meetings of the Napanee Photo Club shall be held on the second Tuesday of each month, unless otherwise ordered by the Executive Committee for a special purpose or circumstance.
(b) The regular meeting in December shall be known as the Annual General Meeting.
(c) At all meetings of the Club, ten members shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business.
19. (a) Annually, at the Annual General Meeting, the membership present shall elect the Officers, a member to the Executive Committee, and the Chair of each Standing Committee. The term of office for the Executive and the chairmen shall be for one year, or until their successors are elected. No member shall be eligible to serve for more than two consecutive terms in the same office. No member shall be eligible to serve for more than five consecutive terms on the Executive Committee. Any member who has served more than half a term shall be considered to have served a full term in that office.
(b) Elections shall be by nomination, and in the event of more than one candidate for office being nominated, the election shall be by written ballot of the members present, with the candidate receiving the most votes being elected, to take office at the end of the meeting.
(c) Prior to the Annual General Meeting, the Executive Committee shall appoint a Nominating Committee. It shall be the duty of this committee to nominate a candidate for each office to be filled at the Annual General Meeting.
20. (a) Annually, at the regular meeting in October, the Club shall elect an Auditor who shall audit the books and accounts of the Club as of the end of the month prior to the Annual General Meeting.
(b) The books and accounts in the possession of the Secretary and Treasurer shall be made available to the Auditor upon request, so as to allow sufficient time for an audit and examination.
(c) At the Annual General Meeting, the Auditor shall present a report in writing, including an audited financial statement showing the receipts and expenditures of the Club for the current year, together with all assets and liabilities, accompanied by such remarks and recommendations as he/she may deem advisable.
21. (a) Any person interested in photography may apply for membership in the Napanee Photo Club. Application must be made on a standard application form supplied to the applicant by the Secretary or a member of the Club. The application must be accompanied by the annual dues, or the in appropriate portion thereof as specified in section (b), and presented to the Treasurer for processing.
(b) If an applicant is joining at a time other than the beginning of the year, dues will be payable on a pro rata basis. The year shall be divided into quarters for the purpose of prorating dues. If an applicant applies:
(i) in the first quarter, the full amount is payable;
(ii) in the second quarter, three-fourths of the annual dues are payable;
(iii) in the third quarter, one half of the annual dues is payable; and
(iv) in the fourth quarter, one quarter of the annual dues is payable.
22. The annual dues of this Club shall be payable in advance, and due as of the Annual General Meeting.
23. Any member whose dues remain unpaid three months following the Annual General Meeting shall be dropped from the membership list.
24. Upon joining, each member shall be given a copy of this Constitution and By-laws.
AMENDMENTS TO CONSTITUTION AND BY-LAWS
25. This Constitution and By-laws may be amended at any regular meeting by a two-thirds majority vote of the members present, provided that notice of motion outlining such amendments shall have been given in writing at a regular meeting two months prior and presented in writing to all members at least one month prior to action being taken.